Indian Sunset at Amritapuri Warrior Girl Yoga



I decided to go to India for four months to do some soul searching. I am 24 days in and am loving every second. I have been sending my family updates of my adventures and thought “Why not post these updates on my BLOG.” I hope you enjoy them. Here you go:

Dear Family and Friends,

I am writing you all together since they charge per minute to use the computer here. It is nice to disconnect from the world so I am sorry if I don’t email often. Most of the time I am praying, meditating, practicing yoga, swimming, and doing selfless service. Basically, I am in Katie Heaven! LOL

It has only been a few days but they have been illuminating and rewarding. I feel I know myself better than I did when I arrived. Here are some highlights thus far:

– Tuesday Jerra took me to the airport. I felt emotional saying goodbye. 4 months will be by far the longest time we have spent apart since she came into my life.

– It was a 16 hour flight to Dubai. I drank a LOT of red wine with my seatmate Kiran, a friendly indian man who had great stories. I manged to pass out a good 10 hours. Thank you red wine!

– Landed in Dubai HUNGOVER on Wednesday. Curse you red wine! Very excited not to drink for several months.

– An Arab man in long white robes, a turban, and with a full set of rotting teeth asked me to marry him. He said he would give me many camels. I politely declined and expressed my anti-marrige outlook. He was confused. Who wouldnt want riches and camels???

– Thursday at 3:40 am I landed in India. It was pitch black but I could still sense I had just entered a whole new world. Custom and baggage took about 2 hours. When I exited the airport an Indian taxi driver held a sign with my name. He told me he had only slept ONE hour in several days because he works long hours.

– The 4 hour taxi ride went by FAST. I felt like I was in a movie. My eyes were wide as saucers as I took in my surroundings. There are lanes but no one bothers with them. Taxis, Tuk Tuks, buses, and motorcycles weave in and out of traffic. Horns are always honking. I feel like I am in a video game. Strangely, I am not scared. I am in awe that no one is getting in accidents. It is quite magical.

– The driver is not doing well. His eyes keeps closing like he will fall asleep any minute. He pours water over his head continuously, smokes cigarettes and sips black tea to stay awake.

– Am I in a movie??? Am I Kathleen Turner in “Romancing the Stone” or a female Indiana in “Indiana Jones.” I am not quite sure but I am loving every second.

– I arrive at the Ashram Thursday at 9am. Everything is closed! A sweet indian woman takes pity on me and helps me secure a temporary room till the international office opens.

– When I do check in a nice man named Dialo tells me for about a dollar a day extra I can have my own room! My mind screams “HELL YES” while I quietly reply “That would be lovely.”

– My room is on the 12th floor. From the terrace getting off the elevator I can see the Ocean on one side, the back waters of Kerala on the other, and thousands of Palm Trees in between. I am awestuck!

-Sooooo… the room. I am going to wait to share that information till I get back home. I took pictures. I will tell you that the shower is directly over the toilet so… lets just say shower time is interesting. I am not complaining. Just another cool part of the adventure, though my Orange County friends would probably faint at the site.

– The heat is my biggest challenge. I am so heat sensitive. I feel like I am in a sauna I cant get out of. Hoping I acclimate soon.

Okay…. I have so much more to tell you all but I have to go. Stay tuned for part 2!

All my Love and Light,



Leave a Comment